Today is the fifth anniversary of Gilad’s captivity. Anniversary is such a funny word – it usually means a celebration, but there is none today. You count up anniversaries, feeling blessed with each new one – here there are no blessings, no great wishes for more to come.
Five years…and my list gets longer and longer. What have you done in the last five years of your life?
In the last five years, we have:
- Bought a house.
- Sold a house.
- Moved our offices.
- Bought a car.
- Sold a car.
- Bought another car.
- My daughter got married.
- My daughter moved to two different apartments.
- My daughter had a baby.
- I became a grandmother.
- My oldest son went into the army.
- My oldest son finished the army.
- My second son went into the army.
- My second son got married.
- My second son is about to leave the army in a few weeks.
- My third son celebrated his bar mitzvah.
- My third son grew taller than me.
- My youngest entered first grade…and second…and third…and fourth…and fifth.
- I expanded my business to include new courses.
- I’ve trained hundreds of students in technical writing, marketing communications, social media and more.
- My husband and I went on vacation; celebrating our years together.
- We got new phones – three times.
- I got a new laptop – and need another one now.
- I got a new refrigerator.
- I got a new oven.
- I got two new microwaves.
- We got new mattresses.
- My daughter got a new bunk bed.
- Two of our dogs died.
- We got a puppy.
- We got a new bird.
- Our fish all died and we didn’t get new ones.
- I stopped drinking diet coke.
- I still love chocolate.
- We got new couches.
Shame on Alice Walker who dares to suggest that because she once married a Jew (who she divorced and now bashes as often as she can), she can’t be accused of anti-Semitism. Of course, she can. She sails a flotilla of hatred – just see the Tweeter posts that surround her.
Shame on those who are too naive to realize that they do not sail for humanitarian rights for Gaza – they sail FOR Hamas…and against Israel and Gilad. THAT was the truth of the flotilla, and is the truth of the flotilla – then, now, and always.